Argyle Locomotive Works have produced a limited run of these iconic Australian locomotives. The Victorian Railways ‘NA’ class 2-6-2 tank locomotives were built to serve the four narrow gauge 2′ 6″ (762 mm) gauge branch lines in that state. Baldwin Locomotive Works in the United States supplied the first two 2-6-2 tank locomotives in 1898 as well as parts for a further two locos. The Victorian Railways Newport workshops assembled the parts to give an additional two locos, and subsequently built a further 13 locomotives. The last one, number 17, was built in 1915. The locomotives weigh 36 tons (36.58 t) and produce a tractive effort of 12,170 lbf (54.1 kN), allowing them to haul loads of 90 tons (91.44 t) up grades of 1 in 30.
Numbers 6A, 7A, 8A, 12A, and 14A have been restored and operate on the ‘Puffing Billy’ Steam Railway; No. 3A is also preserved awaiting restoration. The other 11 locomotives have all been scrapped.
These models are all as currently preserved on the Puffing Billy Steam Railway – why not download the superb Argyle NA Product Booklet ? A separate gauge-changing kit can be supplied with these models if required for 32mm gauge. You can download the Operating Instructions VR ‘NA’ Class 2-6-2T using this link.
- Scale: 16mm to 1 foot (1:19)
- Length: 450 mm (17.7 inches) over buffer beams
- Width: 135 mm (5.3 inches)
- Height: 180 mm (7.1 inches)
- Weight: 6.2kg (14.7lbs)
- Min Radius: 1.2m (4 foot)
- Gauge: 32mm or 45mm (NOT adjustable)
- Sprung axles and insulated wheels
- Boiler: Centre Flue
- Working Pressure: 60 psi
- Valve Gear: Slide Valve
- Reversing Gear: Simplified Stephenson’s link, reverse by lever in the cab
- Fuel: Butane Gas
- Boiler Fittings: Safety valve, pressure gauge, water level glass, Goodall valve
- Cab Controls: Steam regulator, gas regulator, reverse lever, Displacement lubricator
- Numbered plates will be provided in loose format for all preserved locos with each model for owners to apply the number of their choice. (3A, 6A, 7A, 8A, 12A, 14A)
Versions available, subject to production batch:
ALW NA S G Live Steam, Green Livery Dark Green / Light Green / Black / Red / White lining
ALW NA S R Live Steam, Red Livery Canadian Red / Black / Brown / White lining
ALW NA S B Live Steam, Black Livery All Black, No lining