Starting production soon will be the Argyle Models / Accucraft Australia 38 Class Pacific. With prices ranging from a UK RRP of £3,550.00 (electric) to £3,795.00 (Live Steam) we think they represent outstanding value for money.
The 38 class design was based on a need to eliminate the complications of double heading required on a number of fast interstate passenger trains. The conditions of track work with frequent sharp curvature to be traversed at high speed would require six-coupled driving wheels in a ‘Pacific’ 4-6-2 configuration. Maintenance considerations suggested a two cylinder simple steam locomotive. In May 1939 an order for five 38 class locomotives was placed with Clyde Engineering with a distinctive streamlined boiler casing. The remaining 25 locomotives were built without streamlining at the NSWGR Eveleigh and Cardiff Workshops. From 1961 the locomotives were progressively withdrawn from service. Four have survived into preservation being 3801, 3813, 3820 and 3830.
The model will be available in both Streamlined and Un-streamlined versions and in a variety of liveries and power options. Pilot Model 2016 – you can download the order form here. Place your reservations with our Hereford office now – prices may be subject to currency revision.
Product Specifications – Live Steam Version:
- Scale: 1:32
- Gauge: 45mm
- Valve Gear: Walschaerts, two cylinders, slide valves, cylinder drain cocks
- Working Pressure: 60psi
- Construction: Copper boiler, Brass boiler jacket, Brass cab, Brass tender,
- Boiler Fittings: Safety valve, pressure gauge, water gauge
- Axle water pump with bypass valve, Water hand pump with check valve
- Length over buffers: 756mm (29.8 inches)
- Width: 91mm (3.6 inches)
- Height: 133mm (5.2 inches)
- Min Radius: Electric 2m (6½ feet) Live Steam 3m (9 feet)
- Steel drivers
- Chassis is sprung on all wheels, with sprung side control on the leading bogie
- Main driving axle boxes have oil reservoirs with felt oil pads
- Trailing Truck has oil /felt reservoirs
- Main Coupling rod and Connecting rod have a rotating bronze sleeve bearing common to both rods
- Spirit fired boilers have Automatic Blower which opens when the Regulator is shut.
- 3801 Streamlined, Verdant Green
- 3803 Streamlined, Black / Red lining
- 3813 Un-Streamlined, NSWGR Special Green
- 3820 Un-Streamlined, Black / Red lining
- 3830 Un-Streamlined, NSWGR Special Green (all green)
- 3830 Un-Streamlined, Olive Green 1961 livery
Models & Options Available:
- SG Live Steam, Gas Fired, Ceramic Burner
- SA Live Steam, Alcohol Fired with multi tube boiler
- EL Electric with full Cab Detail
- RC Radio Control Fittings Kit for live steam models