An urgent need for narrow gauge locos to operate the lines behind the trenches in WW1 led the Railways Operating Division (ROD) to source locos from America as well as Britain. Both Baldwin and Alco produced designs and the Baldwin 4-6-0 pannier tank was made in huge numbers. Dispersal sales after the war saw them scattered around the globe with a number ending up in the UK on lines such as the Welsh Highland, Ashover, Snailbeach and Glyn Valley Tramway, many having been acquired by Colonel Stephens for his narrow gauge empire!
The model is internally gas fired and is constructed from etched brass and stainless steel. The model is only available in manual control version. The standard colour is satin black. Versions for 32mm and 45mm gauges are available. As the gas capacity is larger than the water capacity, a boiler top up system will be supplied. The boiler is fitted with a water gauge glass. The locomotive comes fitted with our standard square headed chopper couplings. The wheels are insulated as standard. The cab roof lifts up and tilts sideways to give easy access to the cab interior. Swift Sixteen make a comprehensive range of WD wagon kits to go with our WW1 locos.
- Scale: 1:19 (16mm:1 foot)
- Gauge: 32mm or 45mm
- Length over couplings: 355mm
- Width over footplate: 106mm
- Height to top of chimney: 152mm
- Minimum Radius: 1 metre (3 feet 3 inches).
- Boiler features: Fitted water gauge glass, safety valve, pressure gauge, opening smoke box door, water filling turret in cab.
- Cab controls: Steam regulator, gas regulator, lubricator with under floor drain, reverse lever.
- Cylinders: Piston valve, bore ½inch, stroke ¾inch, piston valve type.
- Valve gear: Simplified Walschaerts type with working expansion link and lever reverse from cab. All stainless steel construction, black nickel plated.
Versions available, subject to production batch:
S19-1 WD Baldwin for 45mm (1 gauge)
S19-2 WD Baldwin for 32mm (0 gauge)
The instruction manual can be downloaded as a PDF file – Manual – INSTRUCTS WD BALDWIN – 2