This model is now discontinued.
The S.A.R. Class NG 15 2-8-2s were designed by the South African Railways and delivered in batches between 1931 and 1958, eleven were built by Henschel and ten by Franco-Blege. They were used by the Otavi Mining and Railway Company and the Tsumeb Copper Corporation. The Class was a development of the Otavi Class Hd 2-8-2 and SAR Class NG 5 locomotives and featured a Krauss-Helmholtz bogie linking the front pony truck with the leading driven axle which allowed the locos to negotiate tight curves. Displaced from their original work in the 1960s all the class ended up in S.A.R. ownership before finally being withdrawn in the 1980s. Thirteen members of the class have been preserved, five of them in Britain with two of these destined to work the newly rebuilt Welsh Highland Railway.
The model is internally gas fired with a twin flue boiler. The boiler is fitted with a water gauge glass which will allow for continuous running using the boiler filler system . The model is gauge adjustable from 32mm (O gauge) to 45mm (1 gauge) and has insulated wheels as standard. The axles run in bronze bearings and all the rods and valve gear are manufactured from stainless steel. The cab roof opens to give access to the gauges and lubricator filler. The boiler is fitted with a water blow down valve and the displacement lubricator has an under floor drain valve. The model is built from stainless steel and brass, and with the correct maintenance, will give a lifetime of pleasure. You can read a review of the model by Stuart Moon of “Garden Rail” magazine NG15 Review.
- Scale: 16mm to 1 foot (1:19)
- Gauge: 32mm or 45mm
- Length with tender: 915mm (36 ins)
- Max width: 135mm (5 ins)
- Max height: 170mm (6.75 ins)
- Min Radius: 1.2M (48 ins)
- Boiler: Gas fired, twin flue
- Working Pressure: 80psi
- Reversing Gear: Simplified Walschaerts type, reverse by lever in the cab
- Fuel: Butane Gas
- Boiler Fittings: Safety valves, pressure gauge, water gauge glass, boiler water feed valve
- Cab Controls: Steam regulator, reverse lever, lubricator with under floor drain valve, hot water return valve for tender
- Tender: Gas tank in warm water tank, hand pump in warm water tank. There is a return valve on loco for reheating the gas tank warm water tank when needed.
Colours available, subject to production batch:
S19-7 – NG15 in South African Railways satin black with stainless steel boiler bands, numbered and with South African Railways lettering on tender.
S19-7UL – Plain satin black with stainless steel boiler bands, un-lettered and un-numbered.
Instructions for the locomotive can be downloaded as a PDF file Instructions for NG15