This model is now discontinued.
The original locomotive “Lyn” was built for the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway, by the Baldwin Locomotive Works, in 1898. Our model is based on the locomotive as it was returned from overhaul by the Southern Railway at their Eastleigh works in 1929. A replica “Lyn” is being constructed for the rebuilt Lynton & Barnstaple Railway, details of which can be found here
The model is internally gas fired and manually controlled, however it is suitable for conversion to radio control. The engine is gauge adjustable for either 32mm (‘0’ gauge) or 45mm (‘1’ gauge) – all the parts for this are supplied with the model. This operation can be undertaken by the owner and only takes a few minutes. The cab roof lifts up to give access to the gas, water and lubricator fillers. The boiler is fitted with a water level check valve and the lubricator has an under floor drain. The chassis features the prototypical “bar” frame design and is fully sprung. The wheels are spoked and insulated as standard.
The model is built from stainless steel and brass, and with the correct maintenance, will give a lifetime of pleasure.
- Scale: 16mm to 1 foot (1:19)
- Length: 406mm (16 inches)
- Width: 108mm (4 ¼ inches)
- Height: 156mm (6 ⅛ inches)
- Gauge: 32mm or 45mm
- Boiler: Centre Flue
- Working Pressure: 60psi
- Weight: 4.3 kg (9.2lbs)
- Min Radius: 900mm (3 feet)
- Reversing Gear: Piston type, reverse by lever in the cab
- Valve Gear: Simulated Stephenson’s link
- Fuel: Butane Gas
- Boiler Fittings: Safety valve, pressure gauge, water level check valve
- Cab Controls: Steam regulator, gas regulator, reverse lever, lubricator under floor drain valve, under floor water level check valve
Colours available, subject to production batch:
MS0045-Full Southern livery
MS0043-All Black, undecorated
The instruction manual can be downloaded as a PDF file – LYN operating manual