The London Midland and Scottish Railway’s Class 5 4-6-0, almost universally known as the Black Five was introduced by William Stanier in 1934 and 842 were built between then and 1951. Members of the class survived to the last day of steam on British Railways, in 1968, and eighteen are preserved.
The Black Fives were a mixed traffic locomotive, a “do-anything go-anywhere” type, designed by Stanier, who had previously been with the GWR. In his early LMS days he acquiesced with the completion of a small number of 2-6-0s already under construction. But Stanier realised that there was a need for larger locomotives. These were to be the LMS’s copy of the GWR Halls. They shared similar cylinder arrangement (two outside), internal boiler design and size and 6 foot driving wheel diameters.
The model is in 1:32 scale and 45mm gauge and features all metal construction with three versions. The model is gas-fired and has all the features the Gauge 1 fraternity have come to expect from an Accucraft locomotive. The chassis is constructed from stainless steel. The boiler is copper, the cab and tender are constructed from etched brass. Like other fine scale models from Accucraft, it will provide many years of enjoyment. The model will run round 6′ radius curves and is happy on code 332 or code 250 tracks.
- Scale: 1:32
- Gauge: 45mm
- Length over buffers: 610mm (23½ inches) TBC
- Width: 90mm (3½ inches) TBC
- Height: 120mm (5 inches) TBC
- Min Radius: 2m (6′)
- Boiler: Centre Flue
- Working Pressure: 60psi
- Valve Gear: Simplified Walschaerts, slide valves, two cylinders
- Fuel: Butane Gas
- Boiler Fittings: Safety valves, pressure gauge, water gauge.
- Cab Controls: Steam regulator, gas regulator, reverse lever, lubricator
- Gas tank in tender (water bath), Axle water pump with bypass valve, Water hand pump with check valve
- Construction: Copper boiler, Brass boiler jacket, Brass cab, Brass tender, Steel drivers
Liveries available subject to production batch:
S32-5 – LMS black No. 5451
S32-6 – BR black with early emblem No. 45237
S32-7 – BR black with late crest No. 45274